How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job
Advice, Career, Opinion, Personal, Travel

How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job

Other ways you can travel without quitting your job

My ways do not apply to everyone. We do not have the same job, the same employer, and the same situation. What I blogged on the previous page is how I personally traveled without quitting my job. These other ways might be applicable for every situations.

Do weekend trips

Traveling does mean going overseas! A beach trip 4 hours from your place is still traveling! Whether it is in the province or a nearby city, as long as you can enjoy yourself, it is traveling. Going Friday night and coming back Monday morning or Sunday night to travel won’t hurt. Last year, I spent 3 months using every weekend to go to the beach and province. I’ve been to Mindoro, Batangas, Quezon, Camarines Norte, Baguio, Cebu, and a lot more places taking advantage of the weekend. It’s fun because you don’t need to use your leave credit and you won’t need to be unpaid on your absence. Use every weekend to feed your traveling soul.

Use your vacation leaves practically

Be clever and use your VLs not because you are tired to go to work or you want to meet your friends for dinners. Most companies grant 12 days of paid vacation leaves per year. You can use it to add on a weekend or a holiday. For example, you can use your 5 VLs starting Monday! That means that you can have a week off counting the weekends. With that 7 days, you can go to nearby countries to travel while still getting paid. You can also add the remaining 7 VLs before or after a paid Christmas leave to have more than a week of spare time. You can have an amazing Bangkok (Oh, how I dream of going to BKK!) or Indonesia trip with that!

Learn to negotiate

When you have already used up all your VLs (please spread your VLs throughout the whole year! Do not use it in one go!), you can then negotiate with your employer. You can ask if they can do overtime and instead of monetary compensation, ask them if it can be converted to a day off instead. Or, you can trade your 13th month pay for a week or two of unpaid leave! This is give and take and you can’t expect that you will still keep your working perks and have a longer vacation. That’s the beauty of life, knowing what you want and your priorities and giving up something to do it.

Go ahead and ask your employer! The worst thing they can say is “NO” and the best thing that could happen is your trip of a lifetime!

Goodluck!

• Reply Georgette Divinagracia August 14, 2016 at 7:35 am

Hi! I’ve read two of your posts so far about “How I saved money for travel” and “How to travel without quitting your job”. And I really love reading them. Inspiring! I DO love travelling! But I’m currently a student and an online tutor as well. Even though I’m paid well in my job, I still can’t get over with the bills at home plus I finance my own studies. So sometimes it’s kinda hard to save. How I wish I could travel as much as you do! Thank you so much for the pieces of advice in your posts. ^_^

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

You can do it. You just have to manage your time and your finances! 🙂 Good luck!

• Reply Ella August 20, 2016 at 11:20 am

CORRECT! I just published my own take on this too. Hope you can read it here: http://wanderingella.com/does-it-really-work-for-everyone/

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I love your blog, Ella! Although, I think there’s something wrong with the scroll button! 🙁

• Reply Ella August 24, 2016 at 1:28 am

Thanks Jacklynne!! Anyway, may I know what you encountered with the scroll bar? Hehehe

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:34 am

It goes so fast! I need to manually press the down arrow on my keyboard 🙁

• Reply Nessy August 22, 2016 at 10:15 pm

How did you sustain your 2 months vacation in Europe?

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 7:58 pm

By working my ass off in the PH and saving money.

• Reply AR Batalon August 23, 2016 at 5:08 am

Such a motivational post! I wish I could also do the same but not now, maybe soon. Thanks for this Jacklynne! <3

• Reply Gayle August 24, 2016 at 5:56 am

Hello! I just want to ask where and how can I avail or get the same Europe Travel Package you just had. I am thrilled to experience it. I hope you can share it with us. Thanks a lot!

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hi Jacklynne,

I started my monthly travels in August 2014 just traveling in and out of the country. In 2015, I’ve been to 5 countries. I am a freelance online worker and I am enjoying as a digital nomad. I haven’t mentioned my other trips around the Philippines in 2015 but mostly when I travel I stay at least one week in every province. 🙂

This is how I prepared for my solo travel to 5 countries in 2015: http://www.itravelrox.com/2016/08/07/how-prepared-solo-travel-5-countries-2015/

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I love your blog! 🙂

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Aww, thank you! Nakakahiya naman! I am browsing your blog and hopefully I could make it to Europe someday. I’ve never saved 350K pesos like that. How I wish I could do that.

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm

You can do it for less! 🙂 Wish you the best in your travels!

• Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

That I need more years to save money. Hehe! 🙂

• Reply Bergs Eye View September 8, 2016 at 8:24 am

nice blog

• Reply Ruth Infante September 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

You serve as an inspiration for me! I really like your blog and I learn so much just from reading them. I feel as if I am the one traveling when I read them it’s so awesome! I aspire to travel someday but I am still busy in university and I hope that I can have an amazing experience like yours. I cannot fully thank you on how you give me on overview on what to do and what to expect on travelling. You are truly an amazing person. Thank you so so much! May God always bless your trips. 🙂

• Reply Jacklynne September 11, 2016 at 2:06 am

Thank you, Ruth! This is so sweet and this inspires me to blog more. Congrats in advance! I’m sure you can have an amazing travel very, very soon!

• Reply Mika October 31, 2016 at 5:58 am

Hi Jacklynne! Can I just say, AGREE! AGREE!! AGREE!!! 🙂 I’m glad that there’s someone out there who shares my sentiments in traveling but also staying at (and loving) one’s 9-to-5 job. The whole “quit your job to travel the world” mantra isn’t really for everybody, and it’s nice to know that there’s also another millennial who thinks that way. Haha.

Anyway, hope you can also drop by my blog and read my entry similar to this:

How a Filipino Millennial “CAN” Go on a Travel Spree

Mika 🙂

• Reply Jacklynne November 1, 2016 at 10:00 am

I love your blog! It’s true – to each his own but don’t impose it to everyone. I love my job and wouldn’t quit it to travel the world! 🙂

• Reply Charles Aleksander Ravndal November 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Stumbled upon your blog by following some links. I do agree that you don’t need to quit your job to travel (We plan and also lucky to live in a country where companies are required to give their employees 4 – 5 week vacation with pay). I don’t really like those articles about quitting their jobs to travel because it’s misleading and it creates this sense of unrealistic expectation especially to a susceptible audience.

• Reply Jacklynne November 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

OMG! Let me know what companies offer 4-5 week vacation with pay here in the PH! Yes, agree! If you can do both then why not? I find it really fun to work at an office setting so I wouldn’t want to quit it! 🙂

• Reply Trixie November 7, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi! I am planning to go to San Francisco next year to visit my boyfriend. But he told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a Visa if I told them my purpose is to visit my boyfriend. But I believe on what you’ve said on your blog, just be honest 🙂 But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would serve as a graduation gift from my mom. I do not have any financial savings. Do you think I have a chance? 🙁

• Reply Anne November 7, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi! I am planning to visit my boyfriend in San Francisco next year but my boyfriend told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a visa if I told them the real purpose of my visit. Yet, I still believe on what you’ve said, just be honest 🙂 But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would just serve as a graduation gift from my mother. I don’t have any financial savings. Do you think I’d still have a chance? 🙁

• Reply Jacklynne November 9, 2016 at 9:21 am

I received a message from a reader. She’s just 19 years old and also fresh out of college. She got her visa so yup, try! 😀

• Reply Anonymous November 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

Do you have an employer or do you work freelance? I am employed, and I dont think they will grant me 2 month vacation, let alone a month.

• Reply Jacklynne November 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I am employed in an office setting 🙂

• Reply Elexa Ragadio February 3, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Oh, how I wish I could travel. I’m a nurse. Working 5 days a week. Have a broken sched 1 day off or if my head permits, 2 days off only. 🙁

• Reply Jacklynne February 9, 2017 at 5:26 am

That sucks. Even after regularization?

• Reply Anonymous April 4, 2017 at 10:31 pm

That is where my thoughts are too.. I resigned from my corporate job and tried traveling instead but I got depressed. I had some anxiety attacks and that is when I realized I needed a certain routine. I went back to the corporate world and chose to just travel in between and I’m happier with that. Life- work balance is how you call it yeah? Thanks for capturing my thoughts on this.

• Reply Jacklynne April 23, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I can’t travel without work, too. Not just because of its financial aspect but I like working. 🙂

• Reply Regina April 7, 2017 at 3:18 am

” There are people who want to travel but are still happy to pursue their careers.” –this is so true. I also get annoyed at all the “Travel and quit your job” articles I keep seeing all over the internet. I am planning to travel a lot this year, but I have no intention of quitting my job. I think it’s just a matter of organizing yourself.

I love your blog. I found it because I was looking for blogs about their experiences applying for a US Visa. Will be applying for one this year. Fingers crossed!

• Reply Anonymous May 3, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Hi! I graduated last year but I haven’t worked yet since I decided to take up a short course (again). My main purpose is to get a visa to visit my boyfriend. I met him online. We haven’t met in person yet because of his job. I’ve read from a blog that it isn’t advisable to do that? But if I’ll try, it’s better to be honest about the purpose of the trip, right? And what supporting documents do you recommend for me to bring since I don’t have a stable job yet?

Thank you so much for sharing this very informative post and thank you in advance for answering my questions. God bless you even more x