How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job
Advice, Career, Opinion, Personal, Travel

How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job

How I traveled without quitting my job

ljubljana

Partying in Ljubljana, Slovenia while still having a job

I did my job well

We do not have an “Employee of the Month” program here but I’m pretty confident that I can be one. I do my job not just well but I do it excellently. In my first job after graduating, I am always the one who can finish more articles everyday. There is a quota and I make it a habit to exceed it. I’m not bragging saying this, I’m passionate with my job and in return, all I want is for the employer to meet halfway with me. I can demand because I can deliver. Proof below! A recommendation from my former manager. (HAHAHAH, defensive!)

Capture1

My point is that once your employer knows that you are a valuable employee, they would be willing to meet halfway with your requests. Who in the right mind would allow an incompetent employee to have an extended period of leave when she’s not even contributing to the overall growth of the company?

When I asked my employer for a 65-day leave (intense), I didn’t have a hard time because he’s kind and of course, he knows that I will complete my tasks before I go and catch up when I get back.

So yup, don’t expect that you can work while traveling when you can’t even work while not traveling. Get me?

I did proper preparation

I did it by notifying my employer about my plan to travel and talking with him regarding this travel dream. Do not surprise your employer and just ask for a leave and demand for it as soon as possible. I asked for a leave 2 months before my intended travel date and told my employer to take his time coming up with a decision. In my letter, I told him my concrete plans before and after the Eurotrip and how I think this will benefit the both of us. My employer’s benefit in my Eurotrip is he wouldn’t pay me for two months LOL and I’ll be better when I come back. Happy employee, happy employer! ๐Ÿ˜€

I sent a heartfelt email

January 8 when I closed my eyes and just hit the “Send” button. I was like “Whatever the decision is, at least I tried.” Dumb me for sending the proposal to my employer on a Friday as I kept thinking about their decision over the weekend. Anyway, I highlighted the part where I told my boss that I enjoy working with him and I am always challenged everytime he gives me a task and I am passionate to do my job excellently because of their management (I’m not kissing ass, this is true!). I also told him that whatever decision they come up with, I will still be the amazing employee that I am and I wouldn’t take it personally.

I signed a contract

“I make myself subjected to any legal action should I not return on the given date” – Me to the HR

After two weeks of deliberation with the judges LOL, they agreed! It sounds scary but I did sign a contract with my approval that they will press legal charges if I didn’t come back on the date they presented. I know I will surely come back but this gives the employer the peace of mind that I didn’t just use them for my travel dreams.

I kept my promise

I left for two months and then came back better than ever, haha! I made my employer feel that allowing me to have a break made me a better person. Not because they allowed me for that leave doesn’t allow me to just be laid-back now because I got what I wanted. Instead, I aspired to a better employee that I was before.

• Reply Georgette Divinagracia August 14, 2016 at 7:35 am

Hi! I’ve read two of your posts so far about “How I saved money for travel” and “How to travel without quitting your job”. And I really love reading them. Inspiring! I DO love travelling! But I’m currently a student and an online tutor as well. Even though I’m paid well in my job, I still can’t get over with the bills at home plus I finance my own studies. So sometimes it’s kinda hard to save. How I wish I could travel as much as you do! Thank you so much for the pieces of advice in your posts. ^_^

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

You can do it. You just have to manage your time and your finances! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

• Reply Ella August 20, 2016 at 11:20 am

CORRECT! I just published my own take on this too. Hope you can read it here: http://wanderingella.com/does-it-really-work-for-everyone/

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I love your blog, Ella! Although, I think there’s something wrong with the scroll button! ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Ella August 24, 2016 at 1:28 am

Thanks Jacklynne!! Anyway, may I know what you encountered with the scroll bar? Hehehe

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:34 am

It goes so fast! I need to manually press the down arrow on my keyboard ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Nessy August 22, 2016 at 10:15 pm

How did you sustain your 2 months vacation in Europe?

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 7:58 pm

By working my ass off in the PH and saving money.

• Reply AR Batalon August 23, 2016 at 5:08 am

Such a motivational post! I wish I could also do the same but not now, maybe soon. Thanks for this Jacklynne! <3

• Reply Gayle August 24, 2016 at 5:56 am

Hello! I just want to ask where and how can I avail or get the same Europe Travel Package you just had. I am thrilled to experience it. I hope you can share it with us. Thanks a lot!

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hi Jacklynne,

I started my monthly travels in August 2014 just traveling in and out of the country. In 2015, I’ve been to 5 countries. I am a freelance online worker and I am enjoying as a digital nomad. I haven’t mentioned my other trips around the Philippines in 2015 but mostly when I travel I stay at least one week in every province. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is how I prepared for my solo travel to 5 countries in 2015: http://www.itravelrox.com/2016/08/07/how-prepared-solo-travel-5-countries-2015/

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I love your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Aww, thank you! Nakakahiya naman! I am browsing your blog and hopefully I could make it to Europe someday. I’ve never saved 350K pesos like that. How I wish I could do that.

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm

You can do it for less! ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish you the best in your travels!

• Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

That I need more years to save money. Hehe! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Bergs Eye View September 8, 2016 at 8:24 am

nice blog

• Reply Ruth Infante September 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

You serve as an inspiration for me! I really like your blog and I learn so much just from reading them. I feel as if I am the one traveling when I read them it’s so awesome! I aspire to travel someday but I am still busy in university and I hope that I can have an amazing experience like yours. I cannot fully thank you on how you give me on overview on what to do and what to expect on travelling. You are truly an amazing person. Thank you so so much! May God always bless your trips. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jacklynne September 11, 2016 at 2:06 am

Thank you, Ruth! This is so sweet and this inspires me to blog more. Congrats in advance! I’m sure you can have an amazing travel very, very soon!

• Reply Mika October 31, 2016 at 5:58 am

Hi Jacklynne! Can I just say, AGREE! AGREE!! AGREE!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad that there’s someone out there who shares my sentiments in traveling but also staying at (and loving) one’s 9-to-5 job. The whole “quit your job to travel the world” mantra isn’t really for everybody, and it’s nice to know that there’s also another millennial who thinks that way. Haha.

Anyway, hope you can also drop by my blog and read my entry similar to this:

How a Filipino Millennial “CAN” Go on a Travel Spree

Mika ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jacklynne November 1, 2016 at 10:00 am

I love your blog! It’s true – to each his own but don’t impose it to everyone. I love my job and wouldn’t quit it to travel the world! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Charles Aleksander Ravndal November 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Stumbled upon your blog by following some links. I do agree that you don’t need to quit your job to travel (We plan and also lucky to live in a country where companies are required to give their employees 4 – 5 week vacation with pay). I don’t really like those articles about quitting their jobs to travel because it’s misleading and it creates this sense of unrealistic expectation especially to a susceptible audience.

• Reply Jacklynne November 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

OMG! Let me know what companies offer 4-5 week vacation with pay here in the PH! Yes, agree! If you can do both then why not? I find it really fun to work at an office setting so I wouldn’t want to quit it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Trixie November 7, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi! I am planning to go to San Francisco next year to visit my boyfriend. But he told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a Visa if I told them my purpose is to visit my boyfriend. But I believe on what you’ve said on your blog, just be honest ๐Ÿ™‚ But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would serve as a graduation gift from my mom. I do not have any financial savings. Do you think I have a chance? ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Anne November 7, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi! I am planning to visit my boyfriend in San Francisco next year but my boyfriend told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a visa if I told them the real purpose of my visit. Yet, I still believe on what you’ve said, just be honest ๐Ÿ™‚ But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would just serve as a graduation gift from my mother. I don’t have any financial savings. Do you think I’d still have a chance? ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Jacklynne November 9, 2016 at 9:21 am

I received a message from a reader. She’s just 19 years old and also fresh out of college. She got her visa so yup, try! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply Anonymous November 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

Do you have an employer or do you work freelance? I am employed, and I dont think they will grant me 2 month vacation, let alone a month.

• Reply Jacklynne November 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I am employed in an office setting ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Elexa Ragadio February 3, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Oh, how I wish I could travel. I’m a nurse. Working 5 days a week. Have a broken sched 1 day off or if my head permits, 2 days off only. ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Jacklynne February 9, 2017 at 5:26 am

That sucks. Even after regularization?

• Reply Anonymous April 4, 2017 at 10:31 pm

That is where my thoughts are too.. I resigned from my corporate job and tried traveling instead but I got depressed. I had some anxiety attacks and that is when I realized I needed a certain routine. I went back to the corporate world and chose to just travel in between and I’m happier with that. Life- work balance is how you call it yeah? Thanks for capturing my thoughts on this.

• Reply Jacklynne April 23, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I can’t travel without work, too. Not just because of its financial aspect but I like working. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Regina April 7, 2017 at 3:18 am

” There are people who want to travel but are still happy to pursue their careers.” –this is so true. I also get annoyed at all the “Travel and quit your job” articles I keep seeing all over the internet. I am planning to travel a lot this year, but I have no intention of quitting my job. I think it’s just a matter of organizing yourself.

I love your blog. I found it because I was looking for blogs about their experiences applying for a US Visa. Will be applying for one this year. Fingers crossed!

• Reply Anonymous May 3, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Hi! I graduated last year but I haven’t worked yet since I decided to take up a short course (again). My main purpose is to get a visa to visit my boyfriend. I met him online. We haven’t met in person yet because of his job. I’ve read from a blog that it isn’t advisable to do that? But if I’ll try, it’s better to be honest about the purpose of the trip, right? And what supporting documents do you recommend for me to bring since I don’t have a stable job yet?

Thank you so much for sharing this very informative post and thank you in advance for answering my questions. God bless you even more x