How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job
Advice, Career, Opinion, Personal, Travel

How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job

Quitting your job just to travel is impractical

My blog audience according to my AWStats tool is comprised of 60% from the PH, 38% from the US, and 2% from other countries. With that being said, I can say that majority of my readers are Filipinos. If you’re new on my blog, I will tell you that I’m frank AF and I tell things as is and I want to tell y’all a reality check that Philippines is a poor country. You know that yourself and most of us can’t live independently just because we have our families to support. Quitting your job would not only be impractical but also selfish.

13631425_1237694039604783_6999162610676959375_n

It’s nice to have both your job to give back to your family and also to travel to reward yourself. After all, how are you going to travel if you do not have a job? How are you going to get a money? Most blogs suggest to sell everything you have then travel and I was like: “???????????????????” Hell, nawp.

Unless you’re filthy rich, have no responsibilities at home, and have really no plan to have a job and your main purpose in life is just to travel, then go ahead and quit your job to travel the world. LOLOLOL.

Choosing a job

I’m blabbing a lot already and I want to go to the point of this blog: How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job

Contrary to what many Filipinos believe, there are tons of jobs available for everyone. Sure, it takes time to finally get a job offer but sooner or later you will.

Some tips!

• Attend every interview there is be it something you’re not prioritizing because you will never know what they can offer unless you attend
  • Apply and apply even if you do not have some of the job requirements because who knows, right?
  • Do not accept the first offer unless you really, really like it – wait for more job offers and weigh both pros and cons
  • Ask about their leave benefits per year including vacation leaves and sick leaves. This is important because you have itchy feet and you don’t want to be absent every now and then and be unpaid just to travel, right?
  • Ask them about their stance on converting salary to vacation. Our company does not honor this but it wouldn’t hurt to try asking!
  • Hint them about your plans to travel. A month or so after I landed my job, I’ve been telling my employer how I wanted to travel and I said that I will pursue it anytime soon.

I can’t speak for you but my field is mostly computer-based and doesn’t require manual labor thus not needing me to be there 24/7. So yeah, if you are planning to work while traveling, choose a job that is not in the field.

Blah, blah. Enough talking, Jacklynne! How did you travel without quitting your job?

Okay, fine. Calm your tits! I’ll get into it!

• Reply Georgette Divinagracia August 14, 2016 at 7:35 am

Hi! I’ve read two of your posts so far about “How I saved money for travel” and “How to travel without quitting your job”. And I really love reading them. Inspiring! I DO love travelling! But I’m currently a student and an online tutor as well. Even though I’m paid well in my job, I still can’t get over with the bills at home plus I finance my own studies. So sometimes it’s kinda hard to save. How I wish I could travel as much as you do! Thank you so much for the pieces of advice in your posts. ^_^

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

You can do it. You just have to manage your time and your finances! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

• Reply Ella August 20, 2016 at 11:20 am

CORRECT! I just published my own take on this too. Hope you can read it here: http://wanderingella.com/does-it-really-work-for-everyone/

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I love your blog, Ella! Although, I think there’s something wrong with the scroll button! ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Ella August 24, 2016 at 1:28 am

Thanks Jacklynne!! Anyway, may I know what you encountered with the scroll bar? Hehehe

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:34 am

It goes so fast! I need to manually press the down arrow on my keyboard ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Nessy August 22, 2016 at 10:15 pm

How did you sustain your 2 months vacation in Europe?

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 7:58 pm

By working my ass off in the PH and saving money.

• Reply AR Batalon August 23, 2016 at 5:08 am

Such a motivational post! I wish I could also do the same but not now, maybe soon. Thanks for this Jacklynne! <3

• Reply Gayle August 24, 2016 at 5:56 am

Hello! I just want to ask where and how can I avail or get the same Europe Travel Package you just had. I am thrilled to experience it. I hope you can share it with us. Thanks a lot!

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hi Jacklynne,

I started my monthly travels in August 2014 just traveling in and out of the country. In 2015, I’ve been to 5 countries. I am a freelance online worker and I am enjoying as a digital nomad. I haven’t mentioned my other trips around the Philippines in 2015 but mostly when I travel I stay at least one week in every province. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is how I prepared for my solo travel to 5 countries in 2015: http://www.itravelrox.com/2016/08/07/how-prepared-solo-travel-5-countries-2015/

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I love your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Aww, thank you! Nakakahiya naman! I am browsing your blog and hopefully I could make it to Europe someday. I’ve never saved 350K pesos like that. How I wish I could do that.

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm

You can do it for less! ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish you the best in your travels!

• Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

That I need more years to save money. Hehe! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Bergs Eye View September 8, 2016 at 8:24 am

nice blog

• Reply Ruth Infante September 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

You serve as an inspiration for me! I really like your blog and I learn so much just from reading them. I feel as if I am the one traveling when I read them it’s so awesome! I aspire to travel someday but I am still busy in university and I hope that I can have an amazing experience like yours. I cannot fully thank you on how you give me on overview on what to do and what to expect on travelling. You are truly an amazing person. Thank you so so much! May God always bless your trips. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jacklynne September 11, 2016 at 2:06 am

Thank you, Ruth! This is so sweet and this inspires me to blog more. Congrats in advance! I’m sure you can have an amazing travel very, very soon!

• Reply Mika October 31, 2016 at 5:58 am

Hi Jacklynne! Can I just say, AGREE! AGREE!! AGREE!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad that there’s someone out there who shares my sentiments in traveling but also staying at (and loving) one’s 9-to-5 job. The whole “quit your job to travel the world” mantra isn’t really for everybody, and it’s nice to know that there’s also another millennial who thinks that way. Haha.

Anyway, hope you can also drop by my blog and read my entry similar to this:

How a Filipino Millennial “CAN” Go on a Travel Spree

Mika ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jacklynne November 1, 2016 at 10:00 am

I love your blog! It’s true – to each his own but don’t impose it to everyone. I love my job and wouldn’t quit it to travel the world! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Charles Aleksander Ravndal November 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Stumbled upon your blog by following some links. I do agree that you don’t need to quit your job to travel (We plan and also lucky to live in a country where companies are required to give their employees 4 – 5 week vacation with pay). I don’t really like those articles about quitting their jobs to travel because it’s misleading and it creates this sense of unrealistic expectation especially to a susceptible audience.

• Reply Jacklynne November 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

OMG! Let me know what companies offer 4-5 week vacation with pay here in the PH! Yes, agree! If you can do both then why not? I find it really fun to work at an office setting so I wouldn’t want to quit it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Trixie November 7, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi! I am planning to go to San Francisco next year to visit my boyfriend. But he told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a Visa if I told them my purpose is to visit my boyfriend. But I believe on what you’ve said on your blog, just be honest ๐Ÿ™‚ But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would serve as a graduation gift from my mom. I do not have any financial savings. Do you think I have a chance? ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Anne November 7, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi! I am planning to visit my boyfriend in San Francisco next year but my boyfriend told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a visa if I told them the real purpose of my visit. Yet, I still believe on what you’ve said, just be honest ๐Ÿ™‚ But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would just serve as a graduation gift from my mother. I don’t have any financial savings. Do you think I’d still have a chance? ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Jacklynne November 9, 2016 at 9:21 am

I received a message from a reader. She’s just 19 years old and also fresh out of college. She got her visa so yup, try! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply Anonymous November 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

Do you have an employer or do you work freelance? I am employed, and I dont think they will grant me 2 month vacation, let alone a month.

• Reply Jacklynne November 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I am employed in an office setting ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Elexa Ragadio February 3, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Oh, how I wish I could travel. I’m a nurse. Working 5 days a week. Have a broken sched 1 day off or if my head permits, 2 days off only. ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Jacklynne February 9, 2017 at 5:26 am

That sucks. Even after regularization?

• Reply Anonymous April 4, 2017 at 10:31 pm

That is where my thoughts are too.. I resigned from my corporate job and tried traveling instead but I got depressed. I had some anxiety attacks and that is when I realized I needed a certain routine. I went back to the corporate world and chose to just travel in between and I’m happier with that. Life- work balance is how you call it yeah? Thanks for capturing my thoughts on this.

• Reply Jacklynne April 23, 2017 at 3:07 pm

I can’t travel without work, too. Not just because of its financial aspect but I like working. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Regina April 7, 2017 at 3:18 am

” There are people who want to travel but are still happy to pursue their careers.” –this is so true. I also get annoyed at all the “Travel and quit your job” articles I keep seeing all over the internet. I am planning to travel a lot this year, but I have no intention of quitting my job. I think it’s just a matter of organizing yourself.

I love your blog. I found it because I was looking for blogs about their experiences applying for a US Visa. Will be applying for one this year. Fingers crossed!

• Reply Anonymous May 3, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Hi! I graduated last year but I haven’t worked yet since I decided to take up a short course (again). My main purpose is to get a visa to visit my boyfriend. I met him online. We haven’t met in person yet because of his job. I’ve read from a blog that it isn’t advisable to do that? But if I’ll try, it’s better to be honest about the purpose of the trip, right? And what supporting documents do you recommend for me to bring since I don’t have a stable job yet?

Thank you so much for sharing this very informative post and thank you in advance for answering my questions. God bless you even more x