How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job
Advice, Career, Opinion, Personal, Travel

How to Travel Without Quitting Your Job

“I quit my job to travel the world,” “I’m the girl who quits her corporate job to travel the world,” “Why quitting your job is the best move if you want to travel the world,” bullshit this, and bullshit that. So, what do you want now? A cookie or a star stamped on the back of your hand?

If you’re one of these people and you’re genuinely happy with your move, then yey! I’m happy for you but don’t come dictating other people what they should do with their lives and treat yourself as superior because you quit your job and traveled instead.

Breaking news: NOT EVERYONE CAN DO IT EVEN IF THEY WANTED TO AND ALSO NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO QUIT THEIR JOB JUST TO TRAVEL.ย

So stop implying that they should work harder to be just like you.

You can blog and say how you did it but not blog and say that they should do it, too because it’s like the ~best thing evuuurrr~

People like these should be banned from using the Internet especially when their blogs are popular! Readers, eventhough they can make their own decisions, tend to be encouraged to quit their job just to travel.

If you’re planning to quit your job so you can travel, hear me out first. YOU. DO. NOT. NEED. TO. DO. THAT.

For starters, read this article first:

This Couple Quit Their Jobs To Travel And Now Scrub Toilets To Get By

Quit job and travel? What for? So that I’ll fall into the “Millenials who made it” category? Quit job and travel? So that I can have something all my Millenial homies be envious about? Or so that I can have an Instagram-worthy post?

Surprise, surprise! There are people who want to travel but are still happy to pursue their careers.

Different strokes for different folks, y’all. We all have our own definition of success and we all have our own ways to do it but don’t you fucking get me the advice to “QUIT YOUR JOB AND TRAVEL” to make yourself feel better that you did it.

hqdefault

I traveled without quitting my job

I went abroad, had the best time of my life, and went back to my amazing job. No, I never ever thought of quitting my job just to travel when I can do both. I think that this is why the German Embassy granted me a visa to go on multiple entries plus added more days on my stay (I asked for 50 days and they gave me 75 days) – it’s because they know that I am happy with my work here and I would never be an illegal immigrant in EU.

Switzerland with my new friends while still having a job

Switzerland with my new friends while still having a job

I believe that if you want a long-ass vacation or break from your job, that means you are in the wrong industry and it means that you are not happy with your job. I am happy to travel for 2 months but those 2 months, I can’t keep thinking about my job back home and I can’t wait to resume my work. It’s because I am passionate about it and I enjoy working.

Ask yourself: “Why would I want to quit my job just to travel?”

I’ll answer it for you! Maybe it’s because:

• you think that having a full-time work might get in the way of your traveling
  • you think your employer won’t let you travel for more than a month
  • you want to go full-on traveling without working and checking your emails

and I’m here to say that none of these matters just as long as you know the art of negotiation.

• Reply Georgette Divinagracia August 14, 2016 at 7:35 am

Hi! I’ve read two of your posts so far about “How I saved money for travel” and “How to travel without quitting your job”. And I really love reading them. Inspiring! I DO love travelling! But I’m currently a student and an online tutor as well. Even though I’m paid well in my job, I still can’t get over with the bills at home plus I finance my own studies. So sometimes it’s kinda hard to save. How I wish I could travel as much as you do! Thank you so much for the pieces of advice in your posts. ^_^

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:26 pm

You can do it. You just have to manage your time and your finances! ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

• Reply Ella August 20, 2016 at 11:20 am

CORRECT! I just published my own take on this too. Hope you can read it here: http://wanderingella.com/does-it-really-work-for-everyone/

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I love your blog, Ella! Although, I think there’s something wrong with the scroll button! ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Ella August 24, 2016 at 1:28 am

Thanks Jacklynne!! Anyway, may I know what you encountered with the scroll bar? Hehehe

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:34 am

It goes so fast! I need to manually press the down arrow on my keyboard ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Nessy August 22, 2016 at 10:15 pm

How did you sustain your 2 months vacation in Europe?

• Reply Jacklynne August 23, 2016 at 7:58 pm

By working my ass off in the PH and saving money.

• Reply AR Batalon August 23, 2016 at 5:08 am

Such a motivational post! I wish I could also do the same but not now, maybe soon. Thanks for this Jacklynne! <3

• Reply Gayle August 24, 2016 at 5:56 am

Hello! I just want to ask where and how can I avail or get the same Europe Travel Package you just had. I am thrilled to experience it. I hope you can share it with us. Thanks a lot!

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 9:58 am

Hi Jacklynne,

I started my monthly travels in August 2014 just traveling in and out of the country. In 2015, I’ve been to 5 countries. I am a freelance online worker and I am enjoying as a digital nomad. I haven’t mentioned my other trips around the Philippines in 2015 but mostly when I travel I stay at least one week in every province. ๐Ÿ™‚

This is how I prepared for my solo travel to 5 countries in 2015: http://www.itravelrox.com/2016/08/07/how-prepared-solo-travel-5-countries-2015/

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I love your blog! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Aww, thank you! Nakakahiya naman! I am browsing your blog and hopefully I could make it to Europe someday. I’ve never saved 350K pesos like that. How I wish I could do that.

• Reply Jacklynne August 24, 2016 at 4:19 pm

You can do it for less! ๐Ÿ™‚ Wish you the best in your travels!

• Roxanne August 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

That I need more years to save money. Hehe! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Bergs Eye View September 8, 2016 at 8:24 am

nice blog

• Reply Ruth Infante September 10, 2016 at 1:48 pm

You serve as an inspiration for me! I really like your blog and I learn so much just from reading them. I feel as if I am the one traveling when I read them it’s so awesome! I aspire to travel someday but I am still busy in university and I hope that I can have an amazing experience like yours. I cannot fully thank you on how you give me on overview on what to do and what to expect on travelling. You are truly an amazing person. Thank you so so much! May God always bless your trips. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jacklynne September 11, 2016 at 2:06 am

Thank you, Ruth! This is so sweet and this inspires me to blog more. Congrats in advance! I’m sure you can have an amazing travel very, very soon!

• Reply Mika October 31, 2016 at 5:58 am

Hi Jacklynne! Can I just say, AGREE! AGREE!! AGREE!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad that there’s someone out there who shares my sentiments in traveling but also staying at (and loving) one’s 9-to-5 job. The whole “quit your job to travel the world” mantra isn’t really for everybody, and it’s nice to know that there’s also another millennial who thinks that way. Haha.

Anyway, hope you can also drop by my blog and read my entry similar to this:

How a Filipino Millennial “CAN” Go on a Travel Spree

Mika ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jacklynne November 1, 2016 at 10:00 am

I love your blog! It’s true – to each his own but don’t impose it to everyone. I love my job and wouldn’t quit it to travel the world! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Charles Aleksander Ravndal November 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Stumbled upon your blog by following some links. I do agree that you don’t need to quit your job to travel (We plan and also lucky to live in a country where companies are required to give their employees 4 – 5 week vacation with pay). I don’t really like those articles about quitting their jobs to travel because it’s misleading and it creates this sense of unrealistic expectation especially to a susceptible audience.

• Reply Jacklynne November 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

OMG! Let me know what companies offer 4-5 week vacation with pay here in the PH! Yes, agree! If you can do both then why not? I find it really fun to work at an office setting so I wouldn’t want to quit it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Trixie November 7, 2016 at 10:21 am

Hi! I am planning to go to San Francisco next year to visit my boyfriend. But he told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a Visa if I told them my purpose is to visit my boyfriend. But I believe on what you’ve said on your blog, just be honest ๐Ÿ™‚ But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would serve as a graduation gift from my mom. I do not have any financial savings. Do you think I have a chance? ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Anne November 7, 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi! I am planning to visit my boyfriend in San Francisco next year but my boyfriend told me that the embassy wouldn’t grant me a visa if I told them the real purpose of my visit. Yet, I still believe on what you’ve said, just be honest ๐Ÿ™‚ But the thing is, I am still a student and my travel would just serve as a graduation gift from my mother. I don’t have any financial savings. Do you think I’d still have a chance? ๐Ÿ™

• Reply Jacklynne November 9, 2016 at 9:21 am

I received a message from a reader. She’s just 19 years old and also fresh out of college. She got her visa so yup, try! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Reply Anonymous November 13, 2016 at 11:32 am

Do you have an employer or do you work freelance? I am employed, and I dont think they will grant me 2 month vacation, let alone a month.

• Reply Jacklynne November 13, 2016 at 12:15 pm